Hepion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: HEPA) is making a run for the top int he market this morning, trading on gains of more than 50% after announcing the publication of data. Here’s what’s going on:
HEPA Stock Soars On Clinical Data Publication
In a press release issued early this morning, Hepion Pharmaceuticals said that the peer-reviewed Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics has published its research article. The article is titled, “A Pan-Cyclophilin Inhibitor, CRV431, Decreases Fibrosis and Tumor Development in Chronic Liver Disease Models.”
The article outlined findings that highlight CRV431’s potential as a drug candidate in chronic liver disease. In particular:
- CRV431 potentially led to the inhibition of all cyclophilin isoforms tested. This suggests that multiple disease mechanisms in the liver could be targeted.
- Mice and rats were given daily oral doses of CRV431 across a wide range of dosing levels. The treatment led to up to a 15-fold accumulation of CRV431 in the liver compared to the blood. This suggests a targeted liver treatment, which is optimal in liver disease.
- HEPA said that CRV431 significantly decreased liver fibrosis by 43% compared to control in a six-week carbon tetrachloride mouse model of fibrosis.
- Also, three studies were conducted in a streptozotocin, high-fat diet mouse model of NASH. The testing included daily doses of 50 mg/kg of CRV431. Fibrosis decreased by approximately 50%, compared to the control group.
- Finally, in a late-stage NASH model where mice developed tumors, 10 weeks of oral CRV431 was provided. The treatment led to a significant decrease in tumor burden, coming out to about 50%.
In a statement, Robert Foster, CEO at HEPA, had the following to offer:
Chronic liver diseases, including NASH, are driven by many disease pathways. We believe that targeting these pathways is necessary for optimal treatment of chronic liver diseases including NASH, cancer, and viral hepatitis. Further, we believe that CRV431’s pan-cyclophilin inhibition is well-suited to address multiple therapeutic needs that are currently either underserved, or completely absent.
Why This News Is So Exciting
With the news leading to gains of more than 50% in Hepion Pharmaceuticals’ stock, investors are clearly excited. So, why is there so much excitement? Here’s how I see it:
Stop wasting your time! Start finding winning trades in minutes with Trade Ideas!
Click below to continue reading!